Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Moppin' Up Soda Pop Rickies...

A soda jerk making a sweet treat sometime in the 1940s

One of my favorite places in Arizona is the vintage soda fountain MacAlpine's. This drugstore fountain was built in 1928, and when the pharmacy closed in 1992, it began a new career as a restaurant and fountain. I first discovered MacAlpine's when I attended a swing dance there several years ago, and I, like so many others, was immediately won over by its charm. I even work there a few times a month because I love the place so much! It's always fun to meet people who frequented the fountain in their youth, or worked there as a teen. I once met a man who worked there when he was 16--in 1942.

Photographed for a review of MacAlpine's

MacAlpine's is the place to stop if you are ever in Phoenix; the food is great and they offer plenty of fountain classics, like egg creams, phosphates, and milkshakes made on an original 1940s mixer. There is also a wonderful store to shop at it, with clothing, furniture, and vintage knick-knacks galore. It's definitely a hidden gem, and a wonderful part of the Arizona's history!


MacAlpine's as it looked in the 1930s


MacAlpine's Today

4 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous. We don't have anything like that in London, that is what we're missing, somewhere really authentic to hang out in that isn't part of a corporate chain. I'm very intrigued by what an egg cream is...we definately don't have those in England!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my list :-)

    Maybe we'll get to shoot there one day
    with that other divine vintage model I have
    my eye on.....MacAlpine's then London.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's my favorite restaurant and hangout in Phoenix, and you are part of the reason, but not all of it. I enjoy going to MacAlpine's even on the days when I know you won't be there, but of course it is always better when you are! And you might be seeing a bit more of me there, too. My friend with whom I had lunch last Friday suggested that we try to get together once a month, and there is no place I'd rather do it than MacAlpine's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MacAlpine's is definitely worth the trip! I've met many people who've traveled from Europe and Japan--it's certainly a unique spot to dine in :-)

    An egg cream is a drink made from flavored syrup (traditionally chocolate, but other flavors are delicious too), soda water, and cream. It was first created in New York during the 1930s and tastes a bit like a fizzy milkshake.

    Hope to see you soon, Garry!

    ReplyDelete