Monday, March 22, 2010

A Night in the 40s and a Contest Too!


My Sweetie and I had a wonderful time at the USO dance--you can't beat an evening filled with big band music, dancing, and fabulous vintage attire!


We arrived in time to watch part of the USO-style show, and we had dinner there as well. Doug from Atomic Age Pictures attended this year, and looked quite sharp dressed as a reporter! My Sweetie wore a pair of pants made from a vintage pattern by V Vintage, along with a 40s tie I picked up at a local shop and two-tone shoes by Remix. I wore a custom Able Grable frock, made up in a lovely limited edition floral rayon fabric, which I positively adore! I think the dress has a wonderful WWII-era feel to it, and so it was perfect to wear to this event. I paired it with my red linen 40s platforms, nude fully fashioned stockings, and Bakelite earrings and spacer bracelets (including a butterscotch bangle originally owned by Lana Turner, a gift from my dear friend Miss Matilda), and was really pleased with how the whole look turned out :-)



A little later, I made an appearance as Betty Grable, dressed in a vintage bathing suit and white platform heels! Ms. Grable is painted on the side of the museum's prized B-17, The Sentimental Journey, and the crowd loves it when "Betty" arrives!




Now, you may have noticed that I mentioned a contest in the title of this post, and you will be pleased to hear that Able Grable is running a "Name That Frock" contest for the dress that I wore. The prize for this contest is a 50 GBP voucher for you to spend towards the Able Grable of your choice! As noted above, this is a custom design that will be available in the fabric of your choosing--unfortunately, the floral that I choose was a limited edition, but Able Grable has a number of solids and a delightful black floral rayon (the lovely Fleur is modeling the Ready Hedy made up this fabric here) for you to choose from! To sweeten the deal, and to commemorate reaching 200 followers, I am giving away a copy of the 1943 movie Stage Door Canteen. I thought this was the perfect selection to go along with a so-very 1940s frock! To enter, email ablegrable at gmail(dot)com with your proposed name. I look forward to reading everyone's submissions!


Till then,
Amanda Lee

22 comments:

  1. Wonderful you look beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look absolutely stunning! I truly LOVE the dress - too bad that the fabric isn't available anymore - and you're really a deadringer for Betty in the vintage bathing suit. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Gingeyginge and Rikka!

    I love the dress, and think it would look smashing made up in another floral--check with Miss Matilda to see if she has another fabric that strikes your fancy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will try to come up with a nice name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to hearing your suggestion, Zizzi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You looked fabulous! And how much fun it must have been! I enjoyed my visit here.
    ~nicole

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for stopping by, Niki and vintagensoul--I appreciate your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you look amazing! And your legs, every bit as lovely as Betty's :)
    How do you get your hair to stay on top of your head? If i attempt that style it just slips off my head :S

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Stefanie!

    It's actually a quick and easy vintage 'do--really! I leave a small section at the front down (this will form the bangs), and pull the rest up in a high ponytail using a clear hair tie. Then I just pin the front section forward with about 5-6 bobby pins. I twist the front section (leaving the ends loose) and pin it at the base with another 1-2 pins, fluffing the ends forward. That's it!

    The vintage way of styling this look is to brush all the hair forward, pinning all the way around the crown with a row of horizontal bobby pins. Then fluff the top/front and pin the curls in place. The first method I described is a little faster and easier to master :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by, Justice Pirate! I always have a great time at this event--I've gone the last eight years, I think :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look wonderful as always, and you make a fabulous Betty!x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love your blog..you have given me so much inspiration...surely im not your only fan from Downunder, Australia !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the kind words, Jodie--I am so glad you enjoy my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just so beautiful !!! You are so classy !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look amazing! I adore that dress!
    Also, you are the perfect Betty!
    I really look up to girls like you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Q--your sweet comment really made my day! I think you are a total doll yourself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've just discovered your blog and I'm in awe! You're such a doll, I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Cecili! I found your blog through Sew Retro and I've enjoyed reading through your sewing adventures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely up do!
    you look brilliant

    x

    ReplyDelete