Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Senorita Sundress

Sometime last year I stumbled upon a set of fantastic red wooden sombrero buttons on their original 1940s cards. I snapped them up and immediately began envisioning the perfect dress to show them off in all their novelty glory. I snagged a copy of Hollywood Pattern 1371, a delightful sundress featuring a sweetheart neckline, tie belt, and a bolero jacket, and knew it was just the ticket for the dress I was imagining. As the buttons were trimmed with lemon yellow and lime green yarn hat bands, I settled upon a bright lime linen look fabric. Wanting to add an additional pop of color to the ensemble, I chose a bright tomato red and white polka dot fabric for the jacket. The overall style and color scheme conjured up an image of a costume a Hollywood starlet might have worn when she traveled to South America in her latest film (I could totally see Paulette Goddard in this outfit, for sure.)

I asked Debora from The Black Pinafore if she would be willing to sew up this set for me, and she happily obliged. The finished outfit was even more amazing than I pictured it to be; as always, Debora has an impeccable eye for details and fit. I'm very impressed with her tailoring skills; the garments she has sewn for me have all fit so well, right off the hanger! The set been a dream to wear and I'm delighted to finally reveal it to my readers!

These photos were taken by the talented Matt Carson; he and I took a trip to the old mining towns of Miami and Globe, where we found two doorways that begged to become picture backdrops. 

I accessorized with a 1940s painted wooden sombrero necklace and earring set, a Mexican-style carved 'fab-a-lite' bangle by ThePinkBungaloo, and Miss L Fire's Sonny spectator heels. 

xoxo,
Amanda Lee














7 comments:

  1. So pretty!! I love it! the colours together are just so fun. Adore :)

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ravishingly beautiful! I adore these hues together!!! Far from looking Christmassy, as red and green together so often can run the risk of doing, the shades here scream summertime warmth and are nothing short of sublime as mates in the same ensmeble. You really, really look terrific, dear gal!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the out fit it compliments you beautifully

    Gaby x

    http://theglamdottylife.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want a few tips for your french trip feel free to send me a message at lostinthe1950s@yahoo.fr I will be more than happy to help you! Laurence

    ReplyDelete
  5. That color combination is ridiculous!!! You are a vintage summer perfection in that ensemble!!

    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda,
    I absolutely adore the colors!

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
  7. Completely in love with you and your style! I wish you still blogged! :-)

    www.AtomicAmber.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete